My kids typically get way more candy on Halloween (and the days before) than they can eat, and there is always some candy they don’t like. I certainly don’t want it lying around the house, or I might eat it!
And for those without kids, nothing is worse than overbuying because you thought you’d get a crowd and the night was quiet.
Looking for options beyond bringing it to work? Keep reading. And P.S. – dark chocolate is the best candy to eat according to dentists. So have some and enjoy it!
Put some in the freezer M&Ms are a great replacement for chocolate chips in cookies. Plain chocolate bars work well too. Planning to decorate a gingerbread house this Christmas? Put aside the appropriately-sized/colored candy for that project. My sister likes to cover her gingerbread houses with clear glitter so she can’t eat the candy!
Send some to soldiers! Here are area organizations participating in Operation Gratitude (candy is shipped to overseas troops):
- Gupta Orthodontics (5961 N. Dallas Parkway, Plano): November 2nd, 3rd & 5th: You will receive 10 points per pound of candy (up to 10 lbs). Points can be redeemed for gift cards to your favorite stores and 10 points = $1!
- Goldreich Orthodontics (3105 Legacy Dr, Plano) November 1st & 2nd. Every pound of candy that you donate will earn you a Goldreich Nugget. Candy will be distributed by the USO to our troops, and you can even include a personal note to a soldier! Dr. Goldreich will also be making a donation to City House for every pound of candy that is collected.
- Grin Pediatric Dentistry (6225 Chapel Hill Blvd, Plano) November 1st – 15th, $1 per pound of candy and they will donate $1 to the Children’s Advocacy Center of Collin County.
- RX Smile (6801 Warren Pkwy, Frisco) November 1st – 10th Dr. Greenberg will donate $1 to Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children for every pound of wrapped candy that you drop off at his office (limit $1,000).
- Texas Pediatric Dentistry (3595 S. Custer Rd, McKinney) Saturday, November 5th from 8am-3pm $1 per pound up to 5 pounds.
- Allen Pediatric Dentistry (201 N Alma Dr, Allen) November 1st – 10th, trade in candy for a prize from their toy chest.
- Frisco Kid’s Dentistry (6801 Warren Pkwy, Frisco) November 1st – 4th, 50 cents per pound of unopened candy, $1 per pound if you bring In a FRISCO Fastpac (see their website for details), limited to 5 pounds of candy per child.
Have the Switch Witch come!
The Switch Witch takes the candy and in return, leaves money (or some do a present) for the kids. From a friend: “I let the kids have a few pieces last night then pick 5 (or whatever # you want) more pieces to put in a bag for later and then the rest would go to the switch witch. I gave them each an envelope and had them write their name on it (they could write a letter or draw a picture if they wanted to). They put the envelope in their candy bag and set it by our door before bedtime. In the middle of the night, the switch witch switched out all the candy and put money in their envelope. All of the kids candy is now sitting in a bag in the trunk of bob’s car. We’ll either send it to troops, turn it in to a dentist buy back program or send it to bob’s office.”