Summer vacation is almost here, are you ready? If you’re still looking for day camps check the PHF Summer Camps post (gigantic list of camps).
Summer Kid Movies
Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse
Cinemark Movies 10, Plano; Cinemark Movies 14, McKinney; Cinemark Allen 16; Cinemark Frisco Square & XD
$5 for 10 movies (purchased online) or $1 per movie at the box office. Dates are for Plano (Wednesdays & Thursdays at 9:30am)
- June 8 & 9: Paddington
- June 15 & 16: Alvin & The Chipmunks, Road Chip
- June 22 & 23: The Peanuts Movie
- June 29 & 30: Pan
- July: 6 & 7: Home
- July 13 & 14: BoxTrolls
- July 20 & 21: The Sandlot
- July 27 & 28: Norm of the North
- August 3 & 4: Shawn The Sheep
- August 10 & 11: Max
5409 Beltline Rd, Dallas
Tuesdays & Saturdays at 10am, $1 for movies and $4.50 kids meals
- June 7 & 11: Despicable Me
- June 14 & 18: Shreck 2
- June 21 & 25: Alvin & The Chipmunks, Road Chip
- June 28 & July 2: Shrek The Third
- July 5 & 9: Despicable Me 2
- July 12 & 16: The Sponge Bob Movie
- July 19 & 23: Hotel Transylvania 2
- July 26 & 30: The Peanuts Movie
- August 2 & 6: The Lego Movie
- August 9 & 13: Minions
- June: A League of Their Own, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2015), Clash of the Titans (1981), Curious George, The Iron Giant
- July: Babe, The BoxTrolls, Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who!, The Neverending Story
- August: The Dark Crystal, Fly Away Home, The Karate Kid (1984), The Lego Movie, Shaun The Sheep
Studio Movie Grill Children’s Summer Series
- June 6-10: Madagascar 3
- June 13-17: How To Train Your Dragon 2
- June 20-24: Shrek
- June 27 – July 1: Wallace and Gromit
- July 4-8: Horton Hears a Who!
- July 11-15: The Peanuts Movie
- July 18-22: Chicken Run
- July 25-29: Rio
- August 1-5: Kung Fu Panda 2
- August 8-12: Home
- August 15-19: MegaMind
Christmas in July
Beckert Park, Addison, free, 8pm
- July 9th – Polar Express
- July 16th – Elf
- July 23rd – How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- July 30th – A Christmas Story
Free Outdoor Concerts
- Plano Community Band concerts at Haggard Park in June and July
- Murphy Sounds at Sundown summer concerts, Fridays in June.
- Allen Summer Sounds Concerts Mondays May 30 – June 20
- Frisco Music in the Square Fridays in June
- Sounds of Lewisville Tuesdays in June and July
- Vitruvian Nights Live in Addison, every other Thursday June 2 – August 11
- Concerts by the Creek at Watters Creek, Allen in June
Free Camps & Museum Deals
- Vacation Safety School – A half-day camp offered by the Plano Police Department to Plano residents ages 6-9. Space is limited.
- Vacation Bible School – most programs are free!
- Jumpstart for Arts offered to ages 8 – 12. Applications must be picked up/filled out and returned to ArtCentre of Plano.
- Crow Collection: Daily admission to the museum and Sculpture Garden is free (suggested donation is $7 for adults). Check their calendar for family yoga, Tai Chi, Introduction to Mandarin Chinese. Current exhibit info here.
- Dallas Museum of Art: always free! Ideas for Everyday Family Fun and check the PAM Review
- Nasher Sculpture Center: first Saturdays of the month are free and have special family programming
- Texas Discovery Gardens: The gardens are free each Tuesday (butterfly house admission is regular admission).
- Dallas Arboretum: check their website for current discounts, they typically offer $1 admission in August, BOGO tickets through July 27- buy one get one free admission (limit of one purchase per person)
- Buy a PogoPass and save over $90/kid to places like Hawaiian Falls and Sci-Tech Discovery Museum.
Summer Reading Programs
- Plano: lots of special events happening (which are all on the PAM Calendar), some require pre-registration. Library cards are free to residents of Plano, Allen, Frisco, Garland, McKinney, Richardson, The Colony, and Wylie and $50 for others. Summer Reading program kickoff is June 4th.
- Frisco: Mayor’s Summer Reading Challenge starts June 3rd, visit the library to sign up. Read to earn points towards prizes. Lots of special events happening, most require you to get tickets prior to the event. You need a library card (free to residents of Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Plano, or The Colony, $50 for others) to get a ticket.
- Allen: Summer Reading Club June 4th – August 7th with a kick off is June 11th from 10-11:30am. Get prizes for reading. Lots of programs too, many require tickets before the event.
- McKinney: Reading Gives You Superpowers summer reading program June 6th – August 6th.
- Half Price Books: earn Bookworm Bucks for reading in June and July.
Free (or Cheap) Activities
- Summer Fun Thursdays at The Shows at Willow Bend, 1pm Thursdays June 9 – July 28
- Lucky Duck Kids Club at Watters Creek geared towards ages 2-6 (all ages welcome) on the third Thursday of each month at 11am
- Free Sprayparks: Celebration Park (Allen), Addison Circle Park, W. J. Thomas Splash Park (Carrollton) PAM Review, The Fields at Carrollton Parkway, Shepherds Glen (Frisco), JR Newman (Frisco), Bi Centennial Splash Pad (Frisco Commons/Hope Park, Frisco) PAM Review, Main Street (Coppell)
- Register at KidsBowlFree.com to receive two free games of bowling every day this summer. Good at Plano Super Bowl, Strikz Entertainment (Frisco) and Allen Bowl
- The Lego Store has free monthly building events, registration required
- Lakeshore Learning (North Dallas) – free craft events on Saturdays from 11am-3pm
- Lowe’s and Home Depot (PAM Review) offer free kid’s building projects each month.
- Michaels has Kids Club craft events for $2 on Saturdays plus Camp Creativity is Monday/Wednesday/Friday from 10am-noon June 13-July 29
- Junior Chef Classes at Williams Sonoma stores, Saturday mornings, ages 8-13
- Nappy Shoppe is holding craft events some Fridays at 2pm for ages 3-7 (some 3-10) for $5.
- Joann Fabrics has offer a ton of kid classes/workshops
- Visit an area playground
- Go to a local pool or spraypark
- Ride the train from Grapevine to the Stockyards in Fort Worth, weekends
- Visit an area lake
- Escape the heat and go ice skating at a Dr. Pepper StarCenter
Check the PAM Calendar for daily events: